Subject: wlan#ap seems bogus

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:22:34 +0200

As far as I understand the entire point of the wlan#ap interface is to
receive all management relevant management frames. (If that's wrong, reply
now and don't read the rest)

Hence, I think it ought to be named 'wlan#mgmt' instead. However, I think
it's hard-coded existence is bogus.

How about we just add a new interface mode called MGT_MONITOR and
wpa_supplicant simply creates a new device via the regular sysfs mechanism,
and then sets that MGT_MONITOR mode via the relevant WEXT ioctl? iwconfig
doesn't even need to be taught about this mode except for display
purposes...

Also, like I mentioned previously, the device naming can be changed by the
user and there's no guarantee that wlan0ap corresponds to wmaster0. Etc. But
if wpa_supplicant simply created the device itself, it could give it any
name, say wlan0_mgt (if it was controlling wlan0), but if that name is
already taken it simply appends a number or something until it hits a device
name that's still free (or gives up after 100 tries or so...) :)

johannes

PS: In case you're wondering, this is the last mail in my series. Phew!