Subject: Re: network manager confused with bcm43xx-d80211?

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:28:59 +0200

Dan Williams wrote:
> No, it asks HAL what the device type is actually.  HAL looks for the
> interface in /proc/net/wireless currently, and if it's not there, says
> the device is wired.  Run 'lshal', look for your wlan device, and see if
> info.capabilities includes 'net.80211'.
>   
Yeah, I noticed it wasn't in /proc/net/wireless. Should've tipped me off 
I guess. And I probably also should've thought that nm would ask HAL. 
Looks like I wasn't really on track when I wrote this yesterday ;)
> So if the wlanX interface isn't in /proc/net/wireless, you lose.  I
> think we discussed this in the private rt2x00 thread about a month ago?
> Some patches came out of that one, specifically the SET_NETDEV_DEV ones
> for rt2x00 and d80211.  The problem with d80211 was that it didn't
> implement the get_wireless_stats() handler function, and that function
> (I think?) is the one that lets the wlanX device show up
> in /proc/net/wireless.
>   
Yeah, that sounds about right. Larry, do you remember/know more about 
this? I think you were working in this area?

johannes