Subject: Re: wlan#ap seems bogus

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:04:24 +0200

Jouni Malinen wrote:
>> How about we just add a new interface mode called MGT_MONITOR and
>> wpa_supplicant simply creates a new device via the regular sysfs mechanism,
>> and then sets that MGT_MONITOR mode via the relevant WEXT ioctl? iwconfig
>> doesn't even need to be taught about this mode except for display
>> purposes...
>>     
>
> Isn't this already done? I don't remember what happened with client mode
> case, but at least hostapd is requesting the management interface
> dynamically at startup time.
>
>   
Yes, it's requesting it, but via a private wext call. I'd like to see it 
generic, and allow multiple mgmt interfaces as well if the user/hw so 
wishes. IOW I'd like to remove the iwpriv call and instead use the 
equivalent of "echo -n wmgmt0 > /sys/class/ieee80211/phy0/add_iface ; 
iwconfig wmgmt0 mode management"

> Same here.. hostapd gets the ifindex from kernel and doesn't care about
> the name.
>   
Good point, I overlooked that.

johannes