Subject: Re: [NET_SCHED]: Add mask support to fwmark classifier

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:02:38 +0200

Thomas Graf wrote:
> * Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]> 2006-08-25 12:29
> 
>>The problem is that in order to avoid walking through all filters
>>contained in one instance, we need to mask the value before the
>>lookup. This means all filters share the same mask, which is
>>taken from the first filter created and stored in the filter head.
>>The user interface however always refers to a single filter,
>>not the head, so it can't be changed afterwards unless we just
>>overwrite it whenever a new filter is installed. Both is not
>>really perfect. The current patch doesn't allow to change the
>>mark and enforces that all filters use the same one, which I think
>>is better than allowing inconsistent configurations.
> 
> 
> The other option gets down to replacing the hash table with a
> list and that's not an option in my opinion. This looks very
> good to me.

Great, thanks. I'll send it off to Dave with two similar patches
for IPv4 and DecNET routing rules.