Subject: Re: myri10ge conversion to non-contiguous skb

From: Brice Goglin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:41:39 -0400

Jesse Brandeburg wrote:
> On 8/24/06, Brice Goglin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> During the submission of the myri10ge driver, some people raised the
>> question of using pages (or any kind of non-contiguous skb) instead of
>> our current 16kB contiguous skb. We are looking at this right now and it
>> is not clear what solution is the best. From what we understand, Linux
>> provides two mostly redundant mechanisms to handle discontinuous skb,
>> the skb->frags and the skb->frag_list, s2io using the latter while e1000
>> uses the former. Is one or the other recommended? What is the purpose of
>> having them both in the net core?
>
> you really only have one option, to use PAGE_SIZE pages and frags[]
> w/nr_frags.  e1000 tried the frag_list option but that is used by ip
> reassembly and badly conflicts with driver generated frag_list.

Ok, thanks for the clarification, we'll use frags then.

Is s2io going to be converted from frag_list to frags then?

Brice