Subject: Re: [RFC] network namespaces

From: Daniel Lezcano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 17:32:01 +0200

> For HPC if you are interested in migration you need a separate IP per
> container.  If you can take you IP address with you migration of
> networking state is simple.  If you can't take your IP address with
> you a network container is nearly pointless from a migration
> perspective.

Eric, please, I know... I showed you a migration demo at OLS ;)

> Beyond that from everything I have seen layer 2 is just much cleaner
> than any layer 3 approach short of Serge's bind filtering.

> Beyond that I have yet to see a clean semantics for anything
> resembling your layer 2 layer 3 hybrid approach.  If we can't have
> clear semantics it is by definition impossible to implement correctly
> because no one understands what it is supposed to do.

> Note.  A true layer 3 approach has no impact on TCP/UDP filtering
> because it filters at bind time not at packet reception time.  Once
> you start inspecting packets I don't see what the gain is from not
> going all of the way to layer 2.

The bsdjail was just for information ...

	- Daniel