Subject: Re: [RFC] network namespaces

From: Cedric Le Goater <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 22:53:08 +0200

Kir Kolyshkin wrote:

<snip>

> I am not sure about "network isolation" (used by Linux-VServer), but as 
> it comes for level2 vs. level3 virtualization, I see a need for both. 
> Here is the easy-to-understand comparison which can shed some light: 
> http://wiki.openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth

thanks kir,

> Here are a couple of examples
> * Do we want to let container's owner (i.e. root) to add/remove IP 
> addresses? Most probably not, but in some cases we want that.
> * Do we want to be able to run DHCP server and/or DHCP client inside a 
> container? Sometimes...but not always.
> * Do we want to let container's owner to create/manage his own set of 
> iptables? In half of the cases we do.
> 
> The problem here is single solution will not cover all those scenarios.

some would argue that there is one single solution : Xen or similar.

IMO, I think containers should try to leverage their difference,
performance, and not try to simulate a real hardware environment.

Restricting the network environment of a container should be considered
acceptable if this is for the sake of performance. The network interface(s)
could be pre-configured and provided to the container. Protocol(s) could be
forbidden.

Now, if you need more network power in a container, you will need a real or
a virtualized interface.

But let's consider both alternatives.

thanks,

C.