Subject: Re: Update of the r8169 branch

From: "Boris B. Zhmurov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 22:55:51 +0400

Francois Romieu wrote:

>> Is there any chance to get linux worked at least as fast, as freebsd-6.1 
>> with small udp packets?
>> Any help will be more than welcome!
>> Please, CC: me, due to I'm not subscribed to [email-masked].
> 
> Can you publish dmesg, vmstat 1 and /proc/interrupts somewhere ?

ftp://bb-work.kernelpanic.ru/pub/dmesg
ftp://bb-work.kernelpanic.ru/pub/vmstat
ftp://bb-work.kernelpanic.ru/pub/interrupts

>> # Thu Sep 21 10:31:58 2006
>> #
>> CONFIG_X86_32=y
>> CONFIG_GENERIC_TIME=y
>> CONFIG_LOCKDEP_SUPPORT=y
> 
> Disable

[......]

Thanks Francois, after your suggestions, network performance was twice 
increased, but I'm still loosing to freebsd:

previous .config (server's input):
             input          (em0)           output
    packets  errs      bytes    packets  errs      bytes colls
      38630     0    4248702          1     0        206     0
      35849     0    3943298          1     0        170     0
      38264     0    4208994          1     0        170     0

new .config (server's input):
            input          (em0)           output
    packets  errs      bytes    packets  errs      bytes colls
      90431     0    9947370          1     0        182     0
      90504     0    9955400          1     0        294     0
      90494     0    9954300          1     0        182     0

P.S. I couldn't disable the following things due to bzImage build errors:
CONFIG_GENERIC_TIME
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_MMU=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_IOMAP=y
CONFIG_DMI=y

-- 
Boris B. Zhmurov
System/Network Administrator
mailto: [email-masked]
"wget http://kernelpanic.ru/bb_public_key.pgp -O - | gpg --import"