Subject: Re: [PATCH][BNX2]: Disable MSI on 5706 if AMD 8132 bridge is present

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:46:56 -0700

> It absolutely was not vague, it gave an explicit description of what
> the problem was, down to the transaction type being used by 5706 and
> what the stated rules are in the PCI spec, and it also gave a clear
> indication that the 5706 was in the wrong and that this was believed
> to be a unique situation.

I'm not disagreeing with a per-driver check at the moment, but I thought that 
Michael told us that the masking being attempted by the 5706 was legal:

Michael Chan wrote:
> MSI is defined to be 32-bit write.  The 5706 does 64-bit MSI writes
> with byte enables disabled on the unused 32-bit word.  This is legal
> but causes problems on the AMD 8132 which will eventually stop
> responding after a while.
>
 > ...
> MSI is defined to be 32-bit write.  The 5706 does 64-bit MSI writes
> with byte enables disabled on the unused 32-bit word.  This is legal
> but causes problems on the AMD 8132 which will eventually stop
> responding after a while.
> 

rick jones