Subject: Re: [PATCH] [TULIP] Fix section mismatch in de2104x.c

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:44:30 -0400

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 03:18:33PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Stephen Hemminger wrote:
>>> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 12:12:34 -0600
>>> Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> From: Helge Deller <[email-masked]>
>>>>
>>>> WARNING: drivers/net/tulip/de2104x.o - Section mismatch: reference to 
>>>> .init.text:de_init_one from .data.rel.local after 'de_driver' (at offset 
>>>> 0x20)
>>>> WARNING: drivers/net/tulip/de2104x.o - Section mismatch: reference to 
>>>> .exit.text:de_remove_one from .data.rel.local after 'de_driver' (at 
>>>> offset 0x28)
>>> This is caused because with PCI hotplug the device might be probed after 
>>> the init section
>>> has been removed.  Ditto for remove.
>> This device will never ever meet a platform where it can be hotplugged.
> 
> According to a FreeBSD list from 1995, you could get these chips on a PCI
> card from several different vendors.
> 
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=37148+0+archive/1995/freebsd-hardware/19951001.freebsd-hardware

Yes, they are ancient 32-bit PCI cards, which will never make an 
appearance on a PCI hotplug platform.  So, it's wasteful to support 
hotplug in code that will never be hotplugged (as I've said for years).

	Jeff