Subject: Re: [take19 1/4] kevent: Core files.

From: Ulrich Drepper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 16:22:45 -0700

Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> Existing design does not allow overflow.

And I've pointed out a number of times that this is not practical at 
best.  There are event sources which can create events which cannot be 
coalesced into one single event as it would be required with your design.

Signals are one example, specifically realtime signals.  If we do not 
want the design to be limited from the start this approach has to be 
thought over.

>> So zap mmap() support completely, since it is not usable at all. We wont 
>> discuss on it.
> 
> Initial implementation did not have it.
> But I was requested to do it, and it is ready now.
> No one likes it, but no one provides an alternative implementation.
> We are stuck.

We need the mapped ring buffer.  The current design (before it was 
removed) was broken but this does not mean it shouldn't be implemented. 
  We just need more time to figure out how to implement it correctly.

-- 
➧ Ulrich Drepper ➧ Red Hat, Inc. ➧ 444 Castro St ➧ Mountain View, CA ❖