Subject: Re: [Madwifi-devel] d80211: ANNOUNCE: DadWifi, a port of MadWifi to d80211

From: Matt Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:18:29 +1300

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Guys, why do you waste your time on doing stuff that's useless for most
> of us, and that people can't even legally redistribute.

Well that may be your opinion, but it's certainly not mine. We had just
discussed starting an in-house project to port the HAL to the d80211
stack when David made his announcement.

The reason? While we'd obviously prefer that the HAL didn't exist, if
it's going to exist we would far rather that it had a common 80211 stack
on top of it, so that we can easily switch to other chipsets and retain
the same featureset.

Reducing the number of 80211 stacks in use in Linux is a great thing.

> Please switch to openhal or the openbsd code and we all owe you a lot of
> beer at the next conference :)

I'll be very happy to provide beer for any devicescape employee I meet,
simply based on the initial release of dadwifi.

Cheers

--
Matt Brown
[email-masked]
Mob +64 21 611 544 www.mattb.net.nz