Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] net: correct-Traffic-shaper-Kconfig

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:55:09 +0200

Jiri Slaby wrote:
> kconfig, correct traffic shaper
> 
> CBQ is no longer experimental and is located in other subtree.
> 
> diff --git a/drivers/net/Kconfig b/drivers/net/Kconfig
> index 0a999a8..e845df9 100644
> --- a/drivers/net/Kconfig
> +++ b/drivers/net/Kconfig
> @@ -2842,9 +2842,9 @@ config SHAPER
>  	  these virtual devices. See
>  	  <file:Documentation/networking/shaper.txt> for more information.
>  
> -	  An alternative to this traffic shaper is the experimental
> -	  Class-Based Queuing (CBQ) scheduling support which you get if you
> -	  say Y to "QoS and/or fair queuing" above.
> +	  An alternative to this traffic shaper is the Class-Based Queuing
> +	  (CBQ) scheduling support which you get if you say Y to
> +	  "QoS and/or fair queuing" in "Networking options".

While you're at it .. CBQ is actually not a very good alternative
since it doesn't work properly on top of virtual network devices.
The closest match for an alternative would be TBF, but HTB and
HFSC also do fine. Maybe just point to the traffic schedulers in
general. I think you could also change EXPERIMENTAL to OBSOLETE
for the shaper device, the traffic schedulers are a lot more
flexible.