Subject: [RFC] d80211 naming convention

From: James Ketrenos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 14:06:18 -0800

The discussion on another thread about ieee80211_local brought to mind a
discussion from a while ago about shortening the prefix 'ieee80211' used
in structures, defines, variables, function names, etc.

Are people still interested in changing that name to something else?
Would switching from using the ieee prefix to just d work? (d80211 vs.
ieee80211)?  Or perhaps dropping all the way to dot11 (save 4 characters)?

I put together the script convert-to-d80211.sh to switch everything
in-tree from using d80211's ieee80211 prefix to use d80211.  The script,
when run, results in a 22.8kl patch changing 61 files.

Switching to dot11 can be achieved by running convert-to-d80211.sh and
then running convert-to-dot11.sh.  The cumulative patch size by running
the two scripts is 24.3kl changing 78 files.

The scripts assume you have git/cogito installed (they cg-rm and cg-add
to migrate the files to use the new names)  Cogito complains about files
not existing when being removed since they have already been moved on
disk to the dot11 directories.

Git catches the file/directory renames and retains the history the files
moving.

I ran the scripts and performed a test build against the wireless
subsystem and all wireless drivers and all continued to build.  I
haven't done any run-time testing.

Anyway, if no one ever wants to change the names, no biggie.  If it is
something people are thinking about maybe doing, the scripts should make
that change trivial.

Personally I prefer the way things lay out after running both scripts;
its nice to have more of the 80 column width for things other than the
subsystem prefix :)  Its also nice having the subsystem name match the
prefix used.

James