Subject: Re: [PATCH]: bcm43xx-d80211: fix hwcrypto issues (mcast)

From: Paul Hampson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:49:47 +1100

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 08:53 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 18:46 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>>> So what is the solution for Apple machines owner who only get a v3
>>> firmware from Apple ? I remember you telling me the answer on irc but I
>>> wanted to make it public :-) Some web site we can d/l the windows
>>> updates and extract the FW ?

>> Yes, fwcutter comes with a huge list of URLs for both firmware versions
>> (I suppose they'll remove the v3 ones now...)

v3 ones are still needed for the softmac version, unless I'm badly drunk...

> Well, the latest "released" version (fwcutter-005) contains a huge list
> of ... v3 URLs :-) Only 2 v4 in there. I'll check SVN.

There's actually a v4 big-endian firmware in the fwcutter list in SVN, but
no URL to fetch it from...

It comes from the AppleAirPortBrcm4311 driver. I've no idea where that update
comes from, I found a copy on the Internet somewhere. (I think someone posted
the file to a message board looking for help with it...)

I'm not sure, would it be be bad for me to just stick a copy of it up on a
website? If so, I can prolly dig up the place I got it from (I'm sure I
bookmarked it at the time) and people can choose their own level of comfort.

I have to say it's not clear from the documentation that BE machines like
PPC need to use a BE firmware... (If that's not the case, it's not clear
that it's not the case either, it just doesn't say either way. ^_^)

In fact, given that it's a BE firmware update for Intel-based Macs' bcm
cards, I presume the endianess of the firmware doesn't matter?

-- 
Paul Hampson
[email-masked]