Subject: Re: OOPS: 2.6.20-rc1 in ieee80211softmac_get_network_by_bssid_locked()

From: Larry Finger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:06:36 -0600

Ben Collins wrote:
> Kernel is 2.6.20-rc1, SMP, voluntary-preempt.
> 
> CC'd Martin, since he was the original reporter.
> 
> [  110.701863] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
> [  110.813273] Unable to handle kernel paging request for data at address 0x00000000
> [  110.813291] Faulting instruction address: 0xf24124c4
> [  110.813306] Oops: Kernel access of bad area, sig: 11 [#1]

Is this a vanilla 2.6.20-rc1, or does it have the patch listed below? This patch is needed to
complete the changes in work struct introduced with .20.

Larry
---

diff --git a/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac_assoc.c 
b/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac_assoc.c
index eec1a1d..a824852 100644
--- a/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac_assoc.c
+++ b/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac_assoc.c
@@ -167,7 +167,7 @@ static void
  ieee80211softmac_assoc_notify_scan(struct net_device *dev, int event_type, void *context)
  {
  	struct ieee80211softmac_device *mac = ieee80211_priv(dev);
-	ieee80211softmac_assoc_work((void*)mac);
+	ieee80211softmac_assoc_work(&mac->associnfo.work.work);
  }

  static void
@@ -177,7 +177,7 @@ ieee80211softmac_assoc_notify_auth(struc

  	switch (event_type) {
  	case IEEE80211SOFTMAC_EVENT_AUTHENTICATED:
-		ieee80211softmac_assoc_work((void*)mac);
+		ieee80211softmac_assoc_work(&mac->associnfo.work.work);
  		break;
  	case IEEE80211SOFTMAC_EVENT_AUTH_FAILED:
  	case IEEE80211SOFTMAC_EVENT_AUTH_TIMEOUT:
From: Ulrich Kunitz <[email-masked]>

The signature of work functions changed recently from a context
pointer to the work structure pointer. This caused a problem in
the ieee80211softmac code, because the ieee80211softmac_assox_work
function has  been called directly with a parameter explicitly
casted to (void*). This compiled correctly but resulted in a
softlock, because mutex_lock was called with the wrong memory
address. The patch fixes the problem. Another issue was a wrong
call of the schedule_work function. Softmac works again and this
fixes the problem I mentioned earlier in the zd1211rw rx tasklet
patch. The patch is against Linus' tree (commit af1713e0).

Signed-off-by: Ulrich Kunitz <[email-masked]>
Acked-by: Michael Buesch <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Larry Finger <[email-masked]>
---

John,

This patch should be pushed upstream to 2.6.20. At the moment, the work
struct changes have not yet propagated to wireless-2.6. When they do,
it will be needed there as well.

Larry

 net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac_assoc.c |    6 +++---
 1 files changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac_assoc.c b/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac_assoc.c
index eec1a1d..a824852 100644
--- a/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac_assoc.c
+++ b/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac_assoc.c
@@ -167,7 +167,7 @@ static void
 ieee80211softmac_assoc_notify_scan(struct net_device *dev, int event_type, void *context)
 {
 	struct ieee80211softmac_device *mac = ieee80211_priv(dev);
-	ieee80211softmac_assoc_work((void*)mac);
+	ieee80211softmac_assoc_work(&mac->associnfo.work.work);
 }
 
 static void
@@ -177,7 +177,7 @@ ieee80211softmac_assoc_notify_auth(struc
 
 	switch (event_type) {
 	case IEEE80211SOFTMAC_EVENT_AUTHENTICATED:
-		ieee80211softmac_assoc_work((void*)mac);
+		ieee80211softmac_assoc_work(&mac->associnfo.work.work);
 		break;
 	case IEEE80211SOFTMAC_EVENT_AUTH_FAILED:
 	case IEEE80211SOFTMAC_EVENT_AUTH_TIMEOUT: