Subject: BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0! (2.6.18.2 plus hacks)

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:13:39 -0800

This is from 2.6.18.2 kernel with my patch set.  The MAC-VLANs are in active use.
 From the backtrace, I am thinking this might be a generic problem, however.

Any ideas about what this could be?  It seems to be reproducible every day or
two, but no known way to make it happen quickly...

Kernel is SMP, PREEMPT.

Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel: BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78104252>] show_trace+0x12/0x20
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78104929>] dump_stack+0x19/0x20
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<7814c88b>] softlockup_tick+0x9b/0xd0
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<7812a992>] run_local_timers+0x12/0x20
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<7812ac08>] update_process_times+0x38/0x80
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78112796>] smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x66/0x70
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78103baa>] apic_timer_interrupt+0x2a/0x30
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78354e8c>] _read_lock+0x3c/0x50
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78331f42>] ip_check_mc+0x22/0xb0
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<783068bf>] ip_route_input+0x17f/0xef0
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78309c59>] ip_rcv+0x349/0x580
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<782ec98d>] netif_receive_skb+0x36d/0x3b0
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<782ee50c>] process_backlog+0x9c/0x130
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<782ee795>] net_rx_action+0xc5/0x1f0
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78125e58>] __do_softirq+0x88/0x110
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78125f59>] do_softirq+0x79/0x80
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<781260ed>] irq_exit+0x5d/0x60
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78105a6d>] do_IRQ+0x4d/0xa0
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78103ae9>] common_interrupt+0x25/0x2c
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78354c45>] _spin_lock+0x35/0x50
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<781aab1d>] proc_register+0x2d/0x110
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<781ab23d>] create_proc_entry+0x5d/0xd0
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<7812873b>] register_proc_table+0x6b/0x110
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78128771>] register_proc_table+0xa1/0x110
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost last message repeated 3 times
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<7812886d>] register_sysctl_table+0x8d/0xc0
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<7832f0c9>] devinet_sysctl_register+0x109/0x150
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<7832f2ea>] inetdev_init+0xea/0x160
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<7832fa2e>] inet_rtm_newaddr+0x16e/0x190
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<782f58a9>] rtnetlink_rcv_msg+0x169/0x230
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78300ed0>] netlink_run_queue+0x90/0x140
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<782f56dc>] rtnetlink_rcv+0x2c/0x50
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<783014a5>] netlink_data_ready+0x15/0x60
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78300167>] netlink_sendskb+0x27/0x50
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<78300bab>] netlink_unicast+0x15b/0x1f0
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<783013ab>] netlink_sendmsg+0x20b/0x2f0
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<782e12bc>] sock_sendmsg+0xfc/0x120
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<782e1a5a>] sys_sendmsg+0x10a/0x220
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<782e3311>] sys_socketcall+0x261/0x290
Dec 19 04:49:33 localhost kernel:  [<7810307d>] sysenter_past_esp+0x56/0x8d
Dec 19 04:52:17 localhost sshd[32311]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for "203.60.60.10.in-addr.arpa IN PTR", got type "A"

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com