Subject: Re: [PATCH] Remove CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS

From: Maarten Lankhorst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:55:45 +0100

Johannes Berg schreef:
> On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 18:17 +0100, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
>   
>> Remove CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS
>> Nothing uses this, and it breaks the kernel build if a wireless device is used with a unsupported type of bus.
>> Verified this with a grep.
>>     
>
> I don't really care about the symbol and I'm in favour of removing it if
> it is useless, but I don't understand the rationale. How does enabling
> this cause anything to fail?
>
> johannes
>   
Enabling this doesn't cause anything to fail, but my wireless router
doesn't have a pci bus, but instead a native SSB, so CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS
isn't selected. This in turn causes wext-common.o to not be built, so I
get missing symbols and a build breakage. That's why I made
wext-common.o depend on CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT instead of
CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS. Since nothing else uses CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS I
decided to kill that symbol.

maarten