Subject: Re: intel 82571EB gigabit fails to see link on 2.6.20-rc5 in-tree e1000 driver (regression)

From: Auke Kok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:48:59 -0800

Allen Parker wrote:
> Allen Parker wrote:
>> I have a PCI-E pro/1000 MT Quad Port adapter, which works quite well 
>> under 2.6.19.2 but fails to see link under 2.6.20-rc5. Earlier today I 
>> reported this to [email-masked], but thought I should get 
>> the word out in case someone else is testing this kernel on this nic 
>> chipset.
>>
>> Due to changes between 2.6.19.2 and 2.6.20, Intel driver 7.3.20 will 
>> not compile for 2.6.20, nor will the 2.6.19.2 in-tree driver.
>>
> <snip, worthless>
> Affected chipset:
>> lspci -nn output (quad port):
>> 09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit 
>> Ethernet Controller [8086:10a4] (rev 06)
>> lspci -nn output (dual port):
>> 07:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit 
>> Ethernet Controller [8086:105e] (rev 06)
> <snip, readability>
> 
>>  From what I've been able to gather, other Intel Pro/1000 chipsets 
>> work fine in 2.6.20-rc5. If the e1000 guys need any assistance 
>> testing, I'll be more than happy to volunteer myself as a guinea pig 
>> for patches.
> 
> I wasn't aware that I was supposed to post this as a regression, so 
> changed the subject, hoping that someone will pick this up and run with 
> it. Primary issue being that link is not seen on this chipset under 
> 2.6.20-rc5 via in-tree e1000 driver, despite multiple cycles of ifconfig 
> $eth up && ethtool $eth | grep link && ifconfig $eth down. Tested on 2 
> machines with identical hardware.

I asked Allen to report this here. I'm working on the issue as we speak but for now I'll 
treat the link issue as a known regression once I confirm it. If others have seen it 
then I'd like to know ASAP of course ;)

Cheers,

Auke