Subject: Re: [PATCH] Marvell Libertas 8388 802.11b/g USB driver (v2)

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:19:07 -0500

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 01:00:47PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
>> Furthermore, I might add that the entire reason this part was chosen for
>> OLPC was because it _is_ fullmac.
>>
>> To drive down power consumption, the OLPC puts the host CPU to sleep but
>> keeps the 8388 powered on.  That consumes around 400mW max.  But it
>> allows the 8388 to continue routing other laptops' packets over the mesh
>> *while the host CPU is asleep*.
> 
> We're not going to put a lot of junk into the kernel just because the OLPC
> folks decide to do odd powermanagment schemes.

We're not going to ignore useful power management schemes just because 
they don't fit neatly into a pre-existing category.

I think the request to determine how all this maps into MLME is fair, 
though.

	Jeff