Subject: Re: forcedeth problems on 2.6.20-rc6-mm3

From: Robert Hancock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:35:06 -0600

Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Robert Hancock wrote:
> 
>> Something's busted with forcedeth in 2.6.20-rc6-mm3 for me relative to
>> 2.6.20-rc6. There's no errors in dmesg, but it seems no packets ever get
>> received and so the machine can't get an IP address. I tried reverting all the
>> -mm changes to drivers/net/forcedeth.c, which didn't help. The network
>> controller shares an IRQ with the USB OHCI controller which is receiving
>> interrupts, so it doesn't seem like an interrupt routing problem, though I
>> suppose something wierd could be happening there.
> 
> IIRC, forcedeth tries to use MSI by default. Perhaps the hardware is using 
> it, but the kernel thinks enabling it didn't work? I think there's a 
> module option for forcedeth to disable MSI, which might be worth a try to 
> see if it has any effect.

I must have messed something up when testing before - reverting to 
forcedeth.c from 2.6.20-rc6 does indeed fix the problem. And it doesn't 
seem like no packets at all are received with the -mm3 version (driver 
version 0.60), either - if I do a tcpdump I can get Ethernet packets 
showing up, but I can't ping my router so it seems like something isn't 
getting through properly. With the 2.6.20-rc6 version (driver version 
0.59) it works fine. I switched back and forth between versions and this 
seems repeatable.

I don't think it's MSI related, the CK804 version of these controllers 
doesn't support MSI and the driver shouldn't be trying to use it. I 
tried the MSI and MSI-X disable options on the 0.60 driver, but that 
didn't help.

-- 
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email-masked]
Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/