Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] d80211 based driver for Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

From: James Ketrenos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:55:45 -0800

Ismail Dönmez wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 February 2007 17:10:24 Jeff Chua wrote:
>> On 2/13/07, Ismail Dönmez <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Tried this is on a patched 2.6.20 kernel with ipw3945 device and it
>>> always puts the card in 802.11a mode instead of 802.11bg mode.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>> Before running  "iwconfig wlan0 channel 8",  the card is set to
>> 802.11a mode. iwconfig shows rate at 54Mb/s. But after setting the
>> channel, it sets to 802.11b mode, and I can't find a way to change
>> from 11Mb/s to 54MB/s.
>>
>> "iwlist eth0 rate" only show up to 11Mb/s.
>>
>> So, my problem is the card is always in 802.11b mode.
> 
> So I guess there is a common problem with a/bg modes?

Regardless of what iwconfig reports as the mode or rate, you should be 
able to associate to an AP in either spectrum (2.4 or 5.2) using any 
valid rate.  Once configured and associated, iwconfig should provide 
more correct information.

If association is failing, verify that 'iwlist scan' shows the AP and 
that you specify everything for the association, eg:

    iwconfig wlan0 channel 8 essid MyAP ap 00:13:f0:0d:ca:fe

d80211 will only attempt to associate once -- if it fails, then you need 
to currently "de-configure" the device and reconfigure it back to what 
you want to associate to.  I do that here by chaging the AP BSSID to 
something else then changing it back.  If you use wpa_supplicant, it 
does the re-association attempts for you.

James