Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] remove irq_sem cruft from e1000 and derivatives

From: Auke Kok <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:06:26 -0800

Chris Snook wrote:
> Hey folks --
> 
>      While digging through the atl1 source, I was troubled by the code using
> irq_sem.  I did some digging and found the same code in e1000 and ixgb.  I'm
> not entirely sure what it was originally intended to do, but it doesn't seem
> to be doing anything useful now, except possibly locking interrupts off if
> NAPI is flipped on and off enough times to cause an integer overflow.
> 
>      The following patches completely remove irq_sem from each of the drivers.
>  This has been tested successfully on atl1 and e1000.  If someone would like
> to send me ixgb hardware I'd be glad to test that, otherwise you'll have to
> test it yourself. :)
> 
>      -- Chris

I'm not yet seeing patches 1/3 appear, but I'll certainly take a look at them 
and have them tested in our labs once they appear for e1000 and ixgb.

Cheers,

Auke