Subject: Re: 2.6.20-rc4-mm1: PCI=n: drivers/net/3c59x.c compile error

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:22:27 +0300

Hello, I wrote:

>>>> 3x59x-fix-pci-resource-management.patch causes the following compile 
>>>> error with CONFIG_PCI=n:

>>>> <--  snip  -->

>>>> ...
>>>>   CC      drivers/net/3c59x.o
>>>> /home/bunk/linux/kernel-2.6/linux-2.6.20-rc4-mm1/drivers/net/3c59x.c: 
>>>> In function 'vortex_init_one':
>>>> /home/bunk/linux/kernel-2.6/linux-2.6.20-rc4-mm1/drivers/net/3c59x.c:961: 
>>>> error: implicit declaration of function 'pci_request_regions'
>>>> /home/bunk/linux/kernel-2.6/linux-2.6.20-rc4-mm1/drivers/net/3c59x.c:985: 
>>>> error: implicit declaration of function 'pci_release_regions'
>>>> make[3]: *** [drivers/net/3c59x.o] Error 1

>>>    Grr, at at the same time it's happy with pci_enable_device().
>>>    I'd say the problem is in <linux/pci.h>,  not in the patch.

>>    Has there been any patch to fix the "unbalanced" 
>> pci_{request|release}_regions() declarations? Am I suposed to create 
>> such?

>    Alternatively, vortex_{init|remove_one() and struct pci_driver there 
> could have been put under #ifdef CONFIG_PCI (good idea anyway -- should 
> reduce driver size on non-PCI systems)...

    I wonder if I may count on any feedback on this -- asking linux-pci now...
    The issue is as follows: with my patch pci_{request|release}_regions() may 
be called with CONFIG_PCI=n (probably, this never has been a issue before) but 
<linux/pci.h> don't have them declared in this case -- unlike 
pci_enable_device() which is just empty for CONFIG_PCI=n.
    Now, what kind of approach do I take:

- a "fair one", so that pci_{request|release}_regions() get "balanced"
   declarations in the header like pci_enable_device();

- a "local one" (and even saving non-PCI kernel from needless bloat), i.e.
   #ifdef out functions that are only meaningful with CONFIG_PCI=y)?

    I'm leaning to the second now...

>>>> cu
>>>> Adrian

MBR, Sergei