Subject: Re: [ubuntu-marketing] Why should we teach students Linux??

From: Melissa Draper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 16:06:12 +1100

Roel Bindels wrote:
> Hello listers,
>
> I'm tutor on the Faculty ICT, department NID. This is a bachelor degree
> and we are preparing our students to become something more then just
> System Administrators (such as manager, consulting, etc....). Since this
> department is part of the Microsoft camp, the students are educated
> mostly in this direction, which I think is not a bad thing. A better
> thing would be if we could give our students the opportunity to meat
> both the systems on the same level, at least, that is my opinion.
>
> To change a curriculum of a study, I need a solid case. So if somebody
> knows a link/document about why we should educate our students in the
> Linux OS, please send it. Or article about the usage of Linux in company's.
>
> I hope you will all take some time to send me your best links/documents.
>
> with best regards
>
> Roel Bindels
>   
Roel,

I recently interviewed Richard Weideman (who I am adding to the CC so he
can comment directly) for an article about Edubuntu. One of the comments
he made was:

    "Kids who learn to use a computer from scratch are not afraid of
    Linux or OpenOffice.org. They concentrate on the learning task at
    hand, and they learn to use whatever the tool is put in front of
    them. If some of those kids graduate to a work environment using
    Linux or OpenOffice.org, they will have no problem. If the new work
    environment uses Windows, they will adjust without any issues. Some
    of them will even propose OpenOffice.org or Linux at work, and help
    their new company to migrate and save money."

You can read the full article at
http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/02/20/197251

-- 
Sincerely
Melissa Draper

http://www.meldraweb.com

Phone: 0404 595 395
(intl): +61 404 595 395

P.O Box 1412
Lavington, NSW 2641