Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1][PKT_CLS] Avoid multiple tree locks

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:17:37 +0100

Patrick McHardy wrote:
> jamal wrote:
> 
>>Seems to have been around a while. IMO, mterial for 2.6.21 but not
>>stable. I have only compile-tested but it looks right(tm).
> 
> 
> 
> Its harmless since its a read lock, which can be nested. I actually
> don't see any need for qdisc_tree_lock at all, all changes and all
> walking is done under the RTNL, which is why I've removed it in
> my (upcoming) patches. I suggest to leave it as is for now so I
> don't need to change the __qdisc_lookup back to qdisc_lookup in
> 2.6.22.

Alexey just explained to me why we do need qdisc_tree_lock in private
mail. While dumping only the first skb is filled under the RTNL,
while filling further skbs we don't hold the RTNL anymore. So I will
probably have to drop that patch.