Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: Add etun driver

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 18:58:13 +0200

Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 20:51 -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> 
> 
>>The only sysfs attributes that were always available that I could find
>>were module parameters.  A little odd because we can specify them on
>>the kernel command line, or when loading the module in addition to
>>being available at run time.  
>>
>>It gives me a general interface that is usable so long as the module
>>is loaded, and does not depend on the availability of any specific
>>network device.  I will happily use any other interface that gives
>>me the same level of functionality for the roughly the same level
>>of effort.
> 
> 
> Just for consideration, in wireless we currently create virtual network
> devices by having a "add_iface" and "remove_iface" sysfs files below the
> ieee80211 class.

It would be nice if someone would finally come up with a generic
interface based on netlink (RTM_NEWLINK) instead of adding yet
another couple of homegrown interfaces.