Subject: Re: 2.6.21 known regressions (v2) (for -stable team)

From: Thomas Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 20:03:07 +0200

Michal Piotrowski schrieb:
> Subject    : Bad interaction between dynticks and amarok?
> References : http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/26/307
> Submitter  : Thomas Meyer <[email-masked]>
> Status     : Unknow
>
>   
Please remove this from the regression list. This seems to be an
userspace only problem and is not related to any kernel driver:
amarok and/or audacious seems to repeatedly read/write to the X socket:

tail of the strace of audacious:
gettimeofday({1177782978, 24491}, NULL) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {224, 581502867}) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {224, 581614815}) = 0
select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL)         = 1 (out [3])
writev(3,
[{"\221\3\n\0\3\0\200\2#\0\200\2\0\6@\0\240\4\20\0L\0\20\0"..., 40}], 1)
= 40
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
gettimeofday({1177782978, 25286}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=4, events=POLLIN}, {fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 2, 9) = 0
gettimeofday({1177782978, 33242}, NULL) = 0
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
gettimeofday({1177782978, 33475}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=4, events=POLLIN}, {fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 2, 1) = 0
gettimeofday({1177782978, 36548}, NULL) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {224, 593554129}) = 0
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
gettimeofday({1177782978, 36921}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=4, events=POLLIN}, {fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 2, 9) = 0
gettimeofday({1177782978, 46572}, NULL) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {224, 603578038}) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {224, 603689148}) = 0
select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL)         = 1 (out [3])
writev(3, [{"\221\3\n\0\3\0\200\2#\0\200\2\0\6@\0\0\4 \0L\0\20\0\23"...,
40}], 1) = 40
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
gettimeofday({1177782978, 47341}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=4, events=POLLIN}, {fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 2, 9) = 0
gettimeofday({1177782978, 56566}, NULL) = 0
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
gettimeofday({1177782978, 56799}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=4, events=POLLIN}, {fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 2, 0) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {224, 613921380}) = 0
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
gettimeofday({1177782978, 57282}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=4, events=POLLIN}, {fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 2, 9) = 0
gettimeofday({1177782978, 67696}, NULL) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {224, 624704202}) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {224, 624817966}) = 0
select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL)         = 1 (out [3])
writev(3, [{"\221\3\n\0\3\0\200\2#\0\200\2\0\6@\0P\4
\0L\0\20\0\23\0"..., 40}], 1) = 40
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
gettimeofday({1177782978, 68476}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=4, events=POLLIN}, {fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 2, 9) = 0
gettimeofday({1177782978, 76564}, NULL) = 0
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
gettimeofday({1177782978, 76796}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=4, events=POLLIN}, {fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 2, 0) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {224, 633919963}) = 0
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
gettimeofday({1177782978, 77280}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=4, events=POLLIN}, {fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 2, 9) = 0
gettimeofday({1177782978, 86898}, NULL) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {224, 643911329}) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {224, 644025581}) = 0
select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL)         = 1 (out [3])
writev(3, [{"\221\3\n\0\3\0\200\2#\0\200\2\0\6@\0\240\4
\0L\0\20\0\23"..., 40}], 1) = 40
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
gettimeofday({1177782978, 87702}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=4, events=POLLIN}, {fd=3, events=POLLIN, revents=POLLIN}], 2,
9) = 1
read(3, "\n\3P\v\4\0\200\2\0\0\0\0\210v\274\277r\300\10\10x\35!"...,
4096) = 96
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
read(3, 0x80da6c8, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
gettimeofday({1177782978, 90108}, NULL) = 0
gettimeofday({1177782978, 90163}, NULL) = 0

But i didn't have a look at what is going on here. But running amarok
and/or audacious (without playing a song!) adds 50-70 more interrupts to
the timer interrupt.

with kind regards
thomas