Subject: Re: [ofa-general] Re: IPoIB forwarding

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 15:12:08 -0700

Loic Prylli wrote:
> On 4/30/2007 2:12 PM, Rick Jones wrote:
> 
>>
>> Speaking of defaults, it would seem that the external 1.2.0 driver 
>> comes with 9000 bytes as the default MTU?  At least I think that is 
>> what I am seeing now that I've started looking more closely.
>>
>> rick jones
> 
> 
> 
> That's the same for the in-kernel-tree code (9K MTU by default). 
> Assuming this is not wanted, I will submit a patch for that.

While I like what that does for perrformance, and at the risk of putting 
words into the mouths of netdev, I suspect that 1500 bytes is indeed the 
desired default.  It matches the IEEE specs, I've yet to see a switch 
which enabled "Jumbo Frames" by default, not everything out there even 
believes that Jubmo Frames means 9000 byte MTU etc etc etc.  I think 
that 1500 bytes for an "Ethernet" device remains in line with the 
principle of least surprise.

rick jones