Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/17] sky2 update for 2.6.22

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 00:16:48 -0400

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> Patches are against netdev-2.6 upstream code branch.
> 
> This includes a several bug fixes, and code cleanup to use standard
> functions. There are a couple of PCI changes. One bug fix, and moving
> common code in PCI base.

The standard development process is:

	* new code gets pushed to me during 2.6.X-rc
	* that code is auto-propagated to akpm's -mm tree for
	  additional exposure
	* merge window opens
	* I push upstream

That ensures code gets at least /some/ additional review, testing, 
"settling" time.

This is a late date to be expecting stuff to be pushed straight into 2.6.22.

Additionally, the rule for creating patches is:  diff against latest 
vanilla linux-2.6.git tree, unless dependencies exist in netdev.  After 
the merge window opens, #upstream is often empty or even a bit behind 
upstream, since Linus pulls that.

	Jeff