Subject: Re: e1000: assertion hit in e1000_clean(), kernel 2.6.21.1

From: "Kok, Auke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 12:03:08 -0700

Herbert Xu wrote:
> Kok, Auke <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> The source file has four extra lines at the top because of a
>>> trivial wireless patch, so 898 in that code is really 894 in
>>> the stock kernel.
>> please shared that code then.
> 
> I've had a look and e1000 is definitely buggy.
> 
> The problem is that you're calling netif_poll_enable on startup.
> This is *wrong*.
> 
> netif_poll_enable can only be called if you've previously called
> netif_poll_disable.  Otherwise a poll might already be in action
> and you may get a crash like this.
> 
> So perhaps you should divide e1000_up into two sections, one that
> is called on both start and restart and another which is only
> called on restart (i.e., after e1000_down).

OK, that would explain the recent frenzy of reports in this matter. That code 
was only recently merged. I will dig into this and get a patch out as soon as I 
can so you can test this.

Thanks Herbert.

Auke