Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/4] forcedeth: fix power management support

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 18:00:11 -0400

Ayaz Abdulla wrote:
> This patch fixes the power management functions. It includes lowering 
> the phy speed to conserve power.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Ayaz Abdulla <[email-masked]>

Several issues here:

1) Your patch description needs to explain the problems in the power 
management code.  It is self-evident from the patch what functions are 
being changed, and that you feel these changes constitute a fix.  But 
beyond that... no information is given.

2) Lowering the phy speed to conserve power is not an appropriate change 
for a "bug fix only" 2.6.22-rc cycle AFAICS.  Unless there is a 
compelling argument otherwise, I feel this change should be in a 
separate patch, submitted for 2.6.23 (netdev-2.6.git#upstream).

3) You left in debugging printk's, which is sloppy:

+	dprintk(KERN_DEBUG "forcedeth: nv_suspend\n");

4) You save PCI config space twice:

  	pci_save_state(pdev);
+
+	/* save any device state */
+	np->saved_phyinterface = readl(base + NvRegPhyInterface);
+	for (i = 0; i < 64; i++) {
+		pci_read_config_dword(pdev, i*4, &np->saved_config_space[i]);

So, this needs work.