Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/7] cxgb3 - Add SW LRO support

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:37:57 -0400

Brice Goglin wrote:
> Steve Wise wrote:
>> You're right.  But cxgb3 has it now in the driver (tested and working).
>> Shouldn't it be pulled in?  When the network stack design gets done
>> (which could take a few releases to finalize), all the drivers can be
>> updated to use it.  It doesn't seem reasonable to allow some drivers to
>> support LRO and others to not support it...
>>   
> 
> I have to agree with Steve here. We have been requesting the inclusion
> of myri10ge LRO for 5 months now (before 2.6.19). I could understand
> that duplicating LRO code between s2io and myri10ge was not a good idea
> at this point. But, I now see that Netxen got merged way later (in
> 2.6.20) but it got its LRO merged immediately. I guess the LRO is
> already duplicated between s2io and netxen then. It does not look fair
> to me at all.

It was an error on my part, that should not be compounded.  Three wrongs 
don't make a right, etc., etc.

The normal way this stuff works in Linux is that people work together to 
create common code that everybody uses.  I would gladly accept patches 
to rip out the code from NetXen.

	Jeff