Subject: Re: [RFC RTNETLINK 04/09]: Link creation API

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 13:42:25 +0200

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 01:17:11 +0200
> Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>>>If you want I'll extend existing bridge netlink to use these.
>>
>>
>>Are you talking about brige-port information or bridge device
>>configuration? So far the API is not suitable for anything that
>>currently uses IFLA_PROTINFO because the sender is not the driver
>>which created the device and doesn't use AF_UNSPEC. For bridge
>>device configuration it would certainly be nice to have, but I'm
>>not sure yet how to handle enslave operations. So far my favourite
>>idea is to add enslave/release operations to rtnl_link_ops and call
>>them when IFLA_MASTER is set (so the netlink message would look like
>>this: ifindex: eth0 master: br0 nlmsg_type: RTM_NETLINK). But I
>>haven't really thought this through yet.
> 
> 
> Was thinking AF_BRIDGE (we have it already so use it), and both
> add/remove bridge, and enslave/unslave device.

I think we should use two seperate families for bridge devices
and bridge ports. I'll think about the enslave operation some
more and try to add it next week.