Subject: Re: [PATCH] NET: Multiqueue network device support.

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:01:27 -0400

David Miller wrote:
> From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:46:20 -0400
> 
>> Not quite...  You'll have to deal with multiple Rx filters, not just the 
>> current one-filter-for-all model present in today's NICs.  Pools of 
>> queues will have separate configured characteristics.  The "steer" 
>> portion you mention is a bottleneck that wants to be eliminated.
> 
> It runs in hardware at wire speed, what's the issue? :-)

Configuration is the issue.

Where shall we put the configuration machinery, to support sub-queues?
Shall we duplicate the existing configuration code for sub-queues?
What will ifconfig/ip usage look like?
How will it differ from configuring full net_devices, if you are 
assigning the same types of parameters?  Why?

	Jeff