Subject: Re: cannot set IP for ethernet

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:25:45 +0200

Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 13. Juni 2007 schrieb Patrick McHardy:
>>>>
>>>>This can happen if the initial inetdev allocation when the netdevice is
>>>>registered fails. I think it would make sense to try to allocate again
>>>>when adding addresses in that case, otherwise there is no way of
>>>>recovery other than unregistering and registering the device again.
>>>
>>>
>>>With your patch the problem has gone away. Is there a way to especially
>>>stress the system in that regard?
>>
>>
>>Its a failed allocation at NETDEV_REGISTER time. I guess you could
>>keep unloading + reloading the driver module to try to reproduce it.
> 
> 
> If that is the cause, why doesn't it strike from the very beginning? How
> come it fails after some time?

It might also be a failed in_ifaddr allocation. In that case my patch
shouldn't help though.