Subject: Re: 2.4.35-pre1: new e1000 driver breaks old hardware

From: "Kok, Auke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:53:33 -0700

Wolfgang Nothdurft wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> with the new e1000 driver version 7.3.20 the onboard gigabit nic 82547EI
> (8086:1019) doesn't work correctly.
> After transferring about 100 megabytes over a gigabit link the transfer
> stopped and I have to reinit the link either by doing a ifconfig down/up
> or unplugging the network cable.
> The RxIntDelay is set to 0 like described in the docu. Playing with this
> Parameter only increases the amount of traffic to be send and the error
> occurs later.

have you tried (the default) 8000 ? Do you get the same problem when you run 
2.6.21 with 7.5.5.1 or 7.3.20 ?

> This happens also with the 7.4.35 and 7.5.5 driver from the intel side.
> The driver 5.7.6 from kernel 2.4.33.3 and the 6.1.16 from intel works
> very well on this hardware.
> Also other gigabit nics we use didn't have this problem.
> Is this issue already known?

this is the first time I have heard this issue.

> Is there any solution yet?

I'm not that good :)

Can you file a bugreport on e1000.sf.net and attach the usual (ethtool -e, 
dmesg, ifconfig -a, lspci -vv) debugging output and problem description for us? 
I'll try to see if I can have our labs setup a repro case, which might be hard 
given the adapter type, but we will do our best.

Auke