Subject: Re: [RFC NET 00/02]: Secondary unicast address support

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:30:04 -0700

Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Eric W. Biederman wrote:

>> For the macvlan code do we need to do anything special if we transmit
>> to a mac we would normally receive?  Another unicast mac of the same
>> nic for example.
> 
> That doesn't happen under normal circumstances. I don't believe
> it would work.

Assuming you mean you want to send between two mac-vlans on the same physical
nic...

This can work if your mac-vlans are on different subnets and you are
routing between them (and if you have my send-to-self patch or have
another way to let a system send packets to itself).

A normal ethernet switch will NOT turn a packet around on the same
interface it was received, so that is why you must have them on different
subnets and have a router in between.

For sending directly to yourself, something like the 'veth' driver
is probably more useful.

> 
>> For the macvlan hash you just use an upper byte.  Is that just a
>> simple starting place, or do we not need a more complex hash.
>>   
> 
> It comes from the original code, I think it should be good enough.

Ahhh, I knew my hash was lame for some reason!

Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com