Subject: Re: [patch 5/7] CAN: Add virtual CAN netdevice driver

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:25:09 +0200

Oliver Hartkopp wrote:
> @Patrick: The changes in dummy.c and ifb.c for the netlink support do
> not look very complicated (not even for me ;-))

I have a patch to make it even simpler, it basically needs only
the rtnl_link_ops structures initialized with one or two members
for devices like dummy and ifb. Will push once we're through the
patches I sent recently, until then please use the current interface.

> When these changes are
> implemented, how do i create/remove my interfaces? Is there any
> userspace tool like 'tc' for that?

Its "ip". I think I've CCed you or one of your colleagues on
the patches, otherwise please check the list. For a device like
yours it only needs the patch implementing general RTM_NEWLINK
support, unless you want to make the loopback parameter
configurable, in which case you would need to add something
like iplink_vlan that parses the parameter.

BTW, in case the loopback device is required for normal
operation it might make sense to create *one* device by
default, but four identical devices seems a bit extreme.