Subject: Re: [RFD] First draft of RDNSS-in-RA support for IPv6 DNS autoconfiguration

From: Simon Arlott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:40:48 +0100

On 23/06/07 15:47, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> Advertisements it received.  I considered storing the *complete*
> Router Advertisement messages received and pushing them unparsed to
> userland, just to get around the bogus "DNS in the kernel" politics
> (hint: it's not a resolver in the kernel, it's just nameserver
> addresses being stored).  Does anyone really suggest that this would
> be a better solution?

Yes, but I don't think it should be completely unparsed - it should be
possible to retrieve the data for a specific attribute type with
expiration information and with notification of changes.

The kernel has to read RAs anyway, why shouldn't it store them in a way
that userspace can access it on demand? A /proc file which is in
resolv.conf format is definitely *wrong*, and while I'd argue for DNS
being special enough to export its attributes is it really too much to
have the kernel provide everything from the last valid message in a
partially parsed format? Applications would then parse the data section
for RA attributes they understand.

-- 
Simon Arlott