Subject: Re: e1000: backport ich9 support from 7.5.5 ?

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 18:11:25 -0400

Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 14:39:20 -0700
> "Kok, Auke" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> That's why we want to introduce a second e1000 driver (named differently, pick 
>> any name) that contains the new code base, side-by-side into the kernel with the 
>> current e1000.
> 
> Sounds like a reasonable approach to me (it has plenty of precedent).  But
> I forget what all the other issues were, so ignore me.

Given past history with duplicate drivers and the problems that they 
cause -- I know, I've caused some of those problems :( -- I strongly 
recommend against when it can be avoided.

Leaving e1000 with current hardware, and a new e1001 for newer hardware 
should be easier to manage for all involved, without the headaches that 
duplicate drivers cause.

An "e1001" approach also means we have a much greater chance of 
encouraging Intel down the path of clean driver-ness.

	Jeff