Subject: Re: e1000: backport ich9 support from 7.5.5 ?

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 20:09:35 -0400

Andrew Grover wrote:
> I think making e1000new ICH9-and-newer isn't really the best place to
> split it. The Windows e1000 driver got split on the PCI->PCIe
> transition, something that clearly delineated what nics one driver
> supported, and the other. There's no real technical reason for
> splitting now other than "this was when e1000old collapsed under its
> own weight".
> 
> The PCIe adapters are also the first ones to support multiple queues
> IIRC, maybe that would be an another actual technical reason to split
> it there?

Can knowledgeable people characterize the PCIe adapters somehow?  Is 
that "ICH8-era and later", or does it go back further than that?

	Jeff

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by DB2 Express
Download DB2 Express C - the FREE version of DB2 express and take
control of your XML. No limits. Just data. Click to get it now.
http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/