Subject: Re: Handling set_mac_address in set_rx_mode

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:20:16 +0200

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Patrick McHardy wrote:
> 
>> While adding support for secondary unicast addresses to 8021q and
>> macvlan, I've tried keeping dev->dev_addr as global address on
>> dev->uc_list and have drivers skip them to avoid having all
>> dev_unicast_add users implement a state machine like this:
> 
> 
> [...]
> 
> Something that is not entirely clear to me...  This has zero impact on
> existing drivers, right?

Yes, since the set_rx_mode hook is new anyway this would only
affect drivers offering it (which is none so far). But this
idea turned not to be so good anyways, without the
set_mac_address callback the driver can't validate the new
address.