Subject: Re: Fwd: [PATCH] [-mm] ACPI: export ACPI events via netlink

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:38:48 +0200

Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 14:56 +0200, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> 
>>The main reason to use nested attributes is when you only have a
>>single attribute to store your data in (for example TCA_OPTIONS
>>for qdiscs). In that case a nested attribute should be used to
>>allow to extend it in the future. Below that nested attribute
>>you could put a struct of course.
> 
> 
> Right, but that's not applicable to this unless I'm misunderstanding
> you.

Not really, it already uses a nested top-level attribute.

>>In this case I think using a string attribute instead of a fixed
>>sized structure also makes sense for a different reason. Its
>>unlikely that groups will really use the maximum name length
>>allowed, so it should save some bandwidth.
> 
> 
> I suppose if I put (ID,name) into the struct it needn't be fixed-size
> length, but I dislike that as well.

Me too.

> Do I understand you correctly in that you prefer the way I did it now?

Yes.