Subject: iproute2: no error messages for unsupported table requests

From: Martin von Gagern <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:29:12 +0200

Hi!

A while ago I've tried to configure multiple routing tables using
iproute2-2.6.20. As my kernel at that time was configured without
CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES this could not work. However, I got no error
message from the ip command, the route was added to the main table, and
it took me quite a while to locate the error.

From what a quick diff to 2.6.22 tells me, there seems to be no change
addressing the issue, so I guess the same would hold for that version.

Originally I had reported this issue with my distro, Gentoo:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=181928
Now a Gentoo dev directed me towards this list here.

There I also posted the steps I used to reproduce the issue:
 ip route add 123.45.67.89 dev ppp0 table 100
 ip route show table 100
 ip route show table main
Expected result:
 route listed in table 100 but not listed in table main
Actual result:
 route listed in table main, table 100 still empty

I now have resolved the issue for me by reconfiguring my kernel, but you
could probably save others some trouble by generating an error message
in case the kernel doesn't support multiple tables.

Greetings,
 Martin von Gagern