Subject: Re: Fwd: That whole "Linux stealing our code" thing

From: Sam Leffler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:03:36 -0700

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 01:37:18PM -0400, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
>   
>> On 01/09/07, Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>     
>>> Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
>>>       
>>>> This will hopefully help diminish certain myths about the code licensing.
>>>>         
>>> What myth?  The myth that Theo understands dual licensing?
>>>       
>> Reyk's code was never dual licensed, so it's not like it even matters
>> to the original dispute.
>>     
>
> It's no longer dual licenced in the FreeBSD tree because the FreeBSD 
> people removed the GPL choice of the dual licenced code 3 months ago.
>
> So all of Theo's accusations of people breaking the law by making this 
> dual licenced code GPL-only apply as well to the FreeBSD people...
>   

Sigh, why actually check the facts when you can make them up.   The code 
in question is my code.  It has my copyright (modulo bits shared with 
onoe-san who was consulted on the switch from dual-bsd/gpl to bsd only 
in freebsd).  Of course what was amusing was how after I changed the 
license on the current code in freebsd certain folks retroactively 
applied the license changes to code that was 3 years old.

But is there a point to all this nonsense?  I dual-licensed the code so 
folks could adopt and use it however they saw fit.  As I've said before 
I don't care what people do with the work I give away so long as they 
don't claim it's their own.

>   
>> That said, I don't see what exact wording you consider inaccurate.
>>     
>
> Both the FreeBSD and Linux people draw the logical conclusion that this 
> "Alternatively" means everyone can always choose to remove one of the 
> two choices alternatively offered.
>
> According to Theo, that is "breaking the law"...
>
>   

I've yet to see "FreeBSD people" speak up so again you're just spouting 
jibberish.  I am speaking up as the author of the code that set the dual 
license in place.  I have the definitive say and I have said that any of 
my code that is dual-licensed can be made gpl only.

    Sam