Subject: Re: [PATCH] [RFC] allow admin/users to specify rto_min in milliseconds rather than jiffies

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 10:11:12 -0700

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:20:47 -0700 (PDT)
> Rick Jones <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
>>Build upon David Miller's initial patches to set the per-route rto_min
>>so users can specify the rto_min in the same units (milliseconds) in
>>which they are displayed.  This is desirable because asking users to
>>convert to and from jiffies themselves, when there can be different
>>values of HZ from system to system would be error prone.
>>
>>Signed-off-by: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
>>---
> 
> 
> The api in netlink should be in milliseconds rather than compensating
> in the application (iproute2).

In unrelated work I found myself using tc to setup some WAN emulation. 
There I noticed that one can specify times using a units suffix. So, one 
can say 100ms, 100us, or 100s.

That seems like a nice, friendly interface.  I've not looked yet to see 
if it was converting up in tc and then passing a consistent unit to the 
kernel, or if all the conversion was happening in the kernel.

rick jones