Subject: Re: [PATCH] [RFC] allow admin/users to specify rto_min in milliseconds rather than jiffies

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:17:48 -0700

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:20:47 -0700 (PDT)
> Rick Jones <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
>>Build upon David Miller's initial patches to set the per-route rto_min
>>so users can specify the rto_min in the same units (milliseconds) in
>>which they are displayed.  This is desirable because asking users to
>>convert to and from jiffies themselves, when there can be different
>>values of HZ from system to system would be error prone.
>>
>>Signed-off-by: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
>>---
> 
> 
> The api in netlink should be in milliseconds rather than compensating
> in the application (iproute2).

My understanding of the in-kernel rtnetlink code is far from complete, 
but it doesn't seem to have much in the way of provisions for unit 
conversion, which would suggest no nice suffix-based ui as in tc, and ip 
is already doing some massaging of units on the display side for a 
couple of the other parameters, so I'm at something of a loss.

rick jones