Subject: Re: 2.6.23-rc4-mm1: e1000e napi lockup

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 19:31:58 -0400

Kok, Auke wrote:
> David Miller wrote:
>> From: Jiri Slaby <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:19:30 +0200
>>
>>> I found a regression in 2.6.23-rc4-mm1 (since -rc3-mm1) in e1000e 
>>> driver.
>>> napi_disable(&adapter->napi) in e1000_probe freezes the kernel on boot.
>>
>> Yes, the semantics changed slightly in the net-2.6.24 tree the
>> other week and someone needs to fix it up.
>>
>> The netif_napi_add() implicitly does a napi_disable() call.  Device
>> open must explicitly napi_enable() and device close must explicitly
>> napi_disable(), and if done elsewhere these calls must be strictly
>> balanced.
> 
> I'll fix it... it's my patch that adds the new napi code to it and I 
> need to get it ready for the merge window anyway.

well....  since its close to the merge window opening, we could see what 
happens if DaveM pulls branch 'upstream' of 
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git

That should make this class of pre-merge-window annoyance go away.

	Jeff

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/