Subject: Re: auto recycling of TIME_WAIT connections

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:23:20 -0700

Pádraig Brady wrote:
> Rick Jones wrote:
>>This was an issue over a decade ago with SPECweb96 benchmarking.  The
>>initial solution was to make the explicit bind() calls and not rely on
>>the anonymous/ephemeral port space.  After that, one starts adding
>>additional IP's into the mix (at least where possible).  And if that
>>fails, one has to go back to the beginning and ask oneself exactly why a
>>client is trying to churn through so many connections per second in the
>>first place.
> 
> 
> right. This is for benchmarking mainly.
> Sane applications would use persistent connections,
> or a different form of IPC.

All the more reason to go the "add more client IP's" path then.  It 
gives you more connections per second, and gives you a much broader 
umber of "client" IP's hitting the server which will be more realistic.
That is one thing I like very much about polygraph (based on what I've 
read) - it's use of _lots_ of client IPs to better simulate reality.  I 
think other web-oriented benchmarks should start to include that as well 
for there are stacks which do indeed make "decisions" based on whether 
or not a destination is perceived to be "local" or not.

rick jones